Monday 5 November 2012

Installation and Catchup

Back to posting here.  I've attached a few images from my Residency in Regina w the Sakewewak Collective and the Mackenzie Art Gallery.  It's been interesting getting back into the school swing of things.  I have also landed down into another mini-residency at the W2 for the Vancouver Indigenous Media Arts Festival.  I will be installing digital installations and performing with Skookum Sound System on the night of the 10th.  I have been spending most (meaning all) of my time getting ready for this.  Hoping life will return to the chaos I am used to after the 11th.  I have also spent considerable time on my artist statement for my Sala video.  I am going to re-work the ending, but will need to setup another photo shoot to shoot it.  I also I working on the visual ideas for a more satisfying conclusion.

I've been working on a lot of video mashups for our next show....I am attaching the link to the "Father" video I made.  It's a rough mix I did over a few days.  Chopping up footage from Return of the Jedi and  Empire Strikes back.....lot of rendering time.  I posted it up on the day Disney bought the star wars franchise....noticed an influx of star wars memes and mashups the day I posted.  In my opinion Disney can't do much worse than some of the newer Star Wars efforts.  I like the originals.  Nice metaphors on the machine-like qualities of political power and the fight to retain a good spirit even though the darkside has a strong pull.






The paintings are more like studies for me.  They are pretty small in size.  The circle is part of my daily practice.  I like to warmup before I draw by making circles for 5 or 10 minutes....both clockwise and counter clockwise.  I've taken that into my paintings as well.  Trying to make a nice circle without a stencil or compass.  The other painting is a self-portrait.  It's based on my first night in Regina.  It was dark, windy, snowing and the only thing I could see that was open was a Mcdonalds.  Fortunately My trip went a lot better after that first cold night.  The bottom picture is of a couple of the youth (sisters) I workshopped with, practicing before the exhibition.  They were really adept at handling the interactive part of the live-visual thing and a lot of the youth taught me some new tricks in my program and also taking a more experimental approach in the performance with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment