Tuesday 27 November 2012


I'm posting another video piece I worked on over the last couple weeks.  Another mashup of sorts...fusing Flash Gordon, Buffy St. Marie, Sharks, Lions, Thunderbirds and Eagles.  My friend Darwin Frost made the Audio for it.  He was back in New York when I started working on it.  I was sending him a message to see if he was safe from Hurricane Sandy, and while I was writing it he sent me a letter to see if I was safe from the Earthquake that happened off the coast of Haida Gwaii.  I was already working w some of this footage and thought it fit like a glove.  The dancing figure in the video is a a depiction of the Thunderbird who is a figure that connects to thunderclaps, lightning and earthquakes. 

I installed this video along with Sala = Patience and another video called Salish Seas Rythm last November 10th and again on the 17th at the W2 Community Media Arts Centre.

Below are some visual documents of that.  The photos were taken by Joffrey Middleton Hope www.joffrey.ca 

Wuulhu - Installation - Woodwards Atrium - W2 - Vancouver Indigenous Media Arts Festival

Live-Visuals from Trickster
Live Audio Visual Performance w Skookum Sound System - w Impossible Nothing - Biochemical

Live Audio Visual Performance w Skookum Sound System - w DJ Deano and Csetkwe - Alligator Tears

Csetkwe sings Alligator Tears

Deano w the H'lulu drum

I am still working with the video footage from the installation and performance on the 10th.  Below is a poster I designed for the installation and performance.  It was the first time I have had access to so many projectors...I think 10 in total.  I have wanted to transform public spaces with big projections for a while now and this felt like my first real taste of it.  I've been thinking about "projection bombing" and intervention performance using projections.  Still need to conduct some more technical research, but would like to approach that in the new year.

Sala = Patience is still in a fine color correction edit.  I have been looking at changing the "ending", but I haven't come up with an idea that I feel works for the piece.  I still like the idea of the surreal "otherworld" being revealed as the everyday.  There isn't much I feel like I can do with my current footage to alter it, so I will have to figure out a new way to execute it.  I like being in this place between though.  I feel like this is integral to the production. Patience and pondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment