Wednesday 27 March 2013

Sideways Days

It's a full moon.

I am posting up some new work here ----> Everyday Dream


This piece everyday dream is made with live-visual tools, collage techniques and some editing in final cut pro.

I have been dealing with the aftereffects of another car accident. I've been associating work with pain a lot over the last couple years. Making work. Aggravates the embedded pain. Rest just seems to let it settle in even more so the only thing to do is keep moving.

Everyday Dream is cut into 3 pieces and is meant to be seen projected as part of a live performance and/or installation. It begins in the mountain, and travels to space and into the water...all places where I seek clarity or separation from the technological world.

The Buffalo in this piece comes from a clip of Eadweard Muybridge's studies on movement. I have been very interested in his work and his studies in pseudo-science. Muybridge was involved in a deadly train accident as a young man and suffered brain injury. This injury had negative consequences on his health and demeanour, but it also seemed to open a portal. After the accident he became an artist, photographer, wanderer, and a showman amongst other things. I am able to relate to this in some sense. I have been a few accidents and have also had brain injuries...(not nearly as severe as Muybridge's). These bruises in my brain and the pain I have been dealing with have definitely had an effect on my work. I am hesitant to over-intellectualise my work and process, I am relying a lot more on intuition and inner-vison. Some people have joked that they need to be on the meds I have been prescribed to "get" my video work. That's cool. I don't always "get it" myself. I am learning by just engaging and doing.

I don't have a cultural connection to the Bison, yet I feel an affinity towards this animal. I have had dreams of them and walked amongst a field of glowing buffalo bones. In North America the Bison were hunted to the brink of extinction purposely in order to control Indigenous populations. I think today when we look at the salmon runs on the coast we can see the parallels. Not only have Salmon been over-fished, they also deal with the negative effects of fish farms (sea lice) and pollution (warming water temps).

I will add some more text on this piece later...but feel like I should shut my eyes and sleep. Manifesting dreams of thunderous hooves and renewed cycles and rejuvenated rivers.

Below are some stills from this piece.

    







Audio Credits
Lost in the Woods - Deano
Emu Chase - Impossible Nothing
Give You the Moon - Tikawa

Visual Credits and thank yous 
Chris Bose - Salmon run
Eugene Boulanger - Rifle Shot
Darwin Frost and Amede Keats - Mountain
Nasa - Space
Eadweard Muybridge - Bison     

No comments:

Post a Comment